Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Alternate day fasting. My take on the 5:2 diet!

[Insert long uninteresting talk about how I've been struggling with my weight for many years, and how I've tried every single diet and finally found one that appears to work...-ish. Really remember to insert it here, or people will think you are an idiot].

The 5:2 diet is pretty straight forward. Eat normally for 5 days, limit your calorie intake to 600 calories or day for two days (500 if you are a woman). The two 'fasting' days should not be consecutive. Restrict yourself to only drinking water, tea or black coffee.

Basically; Loose/maintain weight my limiting your overall calorie intake. How would have thought that limiting your calorie intake would make you loose weight? Amazing, isn't it :)

Instead of limiting my diet to VLCD powder, broccoli & celery soup or something else stupid, for the rest of my life, I can eat whatever I want 5 days a week, as long as I don't eat for 2 days a week. That is what makes this 'diet' work for me! No need to change my eating habits completely, something that I know I can't do, just skipping a couple of days a week!

The drawbacks are simple and easy to combat.
  1. You get grumpy and short tempered, especially at night.
    As long as you are aware of it, you'll be fine. Just warn your friends and family.
  2.  You'll have 3-4 times a day were you are REALLY hungry. It lasts 10 minutes.
    Just hang in there. Drink a glass of water. It'll pass!
  3. The body need to adjust, so in the first week or two, you will probably have a couple of days where you feel sick! It'll pass!
  4. Don't exercise too much on your fasting days. You probably won't be able to do much.
  5. On fasting days, you will be tired earlier. Go to bed earlier! Its good in many ways.
I'm still in the process of trying to loose a lot of weight, so I've made a modification to the diet. I call it the 4:3 diet. Guess what that means? Yup, 4 days of eating and 3 days of fasting. And when I say fasting, I mean it. No eating at all! For 36 hour.

Some days it's really hard and others, not so much. But it works! No wonders, but it works. About 0.8 kg (~1,8lbs) a week, without changing my diet.

I try to exercise every other day, but it's honestly not that stable. I try, and I'll get better at it!

Animal tests have also shown that putting that kind of stress on your body/cells, can have a positive health effect. Nothing conclusive, but I expect to live until I'm a 150!

Have fun loosing weight! At least as much fun as it was putting it on!

And please leave comments!

2 comments:

  1. There is no way I could not eat for a whole day. Yikes! That would be hard. I am doing sugar busters - no sugar (or fake stuff), no bread, rice, crackers, potatoes, chips, etc. Yes to honey, nuts, dairy, fruit, veggies, meat, eggs, etc. No pop, limit juice - I do a mixture 80% water, 20% orange or grapefruit juice. No beer, limit wine. I find it easy to remember the rules. I have made a two exceptions - a wedding, a family outing... But just small ones nothing crazy. All.the best Hans :) Cheers, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days are way harder than other. It about keeping busy and staying focused... And going to bed early.
    Unlike you, there is no way that I could stay away from sugar and beer :) I find that impressive!

    ReplyDelete